Saturday, July 01, 2006

Insomnia ++Updated++


Random thought in Fiver's little head:
"Now do I or do I not rip this sofa entirely to shreds?"



++Update++ Found the pics and added 'em. You can see them in the latter half of this post.

Insomnia is a pain.

It's not jet lag: with jet lag you feel exhausted at the wrong time of day and want to sleep. But I can't sleep at all.

I'm tired, yes, but that's only natural because this is the second night of my insomniac attack and I've slept only about 4 hours in the past 48.

When I was younger, back in university, I used to get insomniac attacks once in a while. One memorable occasion lasted 5 weeks and entailed me watching dang sunrises way too many times. Now I hate sunrises.

My insomniac episodes usually come and go without any warning or discernible cause. But I think I can pinpoint the cause this time: it's my heart.

The heart is heavy.

Returning to Singapore to read about two, three weeks' records of other local bloggers' lives proved to be simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking.

**********

Belated congratulations to the family of Five Cats' Blog and your new arrival, Jack! May he be a purrfect bundle of joy.

**********

On a more sombre note, The House of Cat lost its darling kitty heart, Dim Sum, to FIP. This occurred while I was still in the UK and I didn't know until I returned to Singapore.

Cat, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. It seems that Dim Sum died peacefully, though, and that is a comfort.

An electronic hug for you. Take care.

**********

We here at CatDonna's Cats are keeping 5-Cat Style and the Flyer in our thoughts and prayers as they come to grips with a very difficult situation and the loss of a beloved kitten, Tiffy.

We're also mindful of recent media reports on the re-arrest of David Hooi, serial animal abuser.

I've decided against commenting on these sad events. Not because I haven't got anything to say, or I don't care.

But sometimes the heart is too weighed down to speak.
People are both frighteningly complex and terribly fragile.
I cannot even begin to discuss these issues. I am almost afraid to.
There is too much to say.

**********

Oh God, it's 5:13 a.m. already.

**********

There's another reason for the sleeplessness.

Boonie and Lucie, Hazel and Fiver are going to participate in an adoption drive at Eunos Community Centre this Sunday from 10 to 4. Boonie and Lucie will actually be there, whilst Hazel and Fiver will have their pictures put on display. I'll be there, of course, to help out with the drive and to screen the potential adopters for my cats.

Personally, I'm not keen on adoption drives - it's too stressful for the cats and you don't get to see the potential adopters interact with the animals sufficiently before you make a decision. Plus, many people who go for these shows aren't serious about adopting.

That's why I've held out against placing my cats in any of these things: I never saw the point, really.
Unfortunately, Boon and Luce are already 8 months old. They're almost adults, and getting huge.
Hazel and Fiver are 3 months old and I swear they've grown every time I look at them.

I love my foster cats to bits, but until I get rid of them, I can't help other cats.
On the other hand, I've got to ensure that my babies end up in good hands, and this is no simple feat.
I'm anxious for their welfare. Adoption drives are, frankly, a last resort [I've never had to come to this till now], and I'm very concerned for how everything will turn out.

I hate this.

**********

I'm making a last-ditch attempt here, and any help will be appreciated:

If anyone wants to adopt a kitten or young cat, or two, PLEASE let me know. Here they are.



Boonie Blackbear: black tabby male, 8 months




Lucie Luckystar: tortoiseshell tabby female, 8 months

Boonie and Lucie were born around about 15 Oct 2005. Abandoned at about 3 days old, they were rescued and hand-raised by me. They have grown up in a multi-cat household, are comfortable with other animals and trustful with humans.

Boonie is outgoing, sociable and talkative. Lucie is quieter, but sweet as honey and very loving. They grew up together and need to be adopted together.

**********


Fiver [L] and Hazel [R] lazing on the ironing board


Hazel and Fiver: size in perspective

[How to tell them apart: Hazel's nose is pink, and Fiver's is brown.]

Hazel and Fiver are both 3-month-old male, brown-and-white bicolour tabbies. Their personalities are developing: Hazel is aloof and courageous, a tiny little Simba lion; Fiver is friendly and affectionate and very endearing.

They can be adopted together or separately, although together is always best.

**********

Please contact me by email. It's in my profile.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sigh.

CatDonna

ps - Pip just returned from sterilisation. I'll let her tell you about it when she's ready.


"Oh crud, I've just had my insides dug out of me and you 3-month-old twerps still want to suckle"

Comments:
You sound understandably overwhelmed. Boonie and Lucie are beautiful cats. They trust you and may do just fine at the fair. Victor adopted me at his very first adoption fair, at 8 months old. What a great age! Socialized and past the "climb the curtains" stage, but still growing and playful. I don't have an answer to insomnia, but when I can't get to sleep, I take valerian root extract (an herbal).
 
Aw, it must be really hard bein a foster Mommy. I asked Mommy if they could come visit for 20 or so years and she said we don't gots room. She muttered somefin bout five bein enuff. (Mommy and Grandma rescued all five of us!) They's furry cute kitties, tho. I hopes they finds really good furever homes!

~~ Sanjee
 
Would Pip still have milk after the operation???
 
Thanks for the kitty pics! They're all so lovely. I really hope that Boonie and Lucie gets adopted soon.

I also hope you'll get over your bout of insomnia. I think some herbal tea may help, or if all else fails, try cough medicine at night. ;)
 
Pip was soooooo cute when she was a kitten!!
 
I really wish I could take them, but at the moment, I don't have the room. With two girls living with me (who I am taking care of at the moment), Zeus, Isis, and lots of other happenings, this huge house that I thought was so big in September is so small now. I wish I could, though, Catdonna...
 
Keeping our paws crossed for the kitties!
 
Thanks Donna! Sorry so tardy. Just found this post from Technorati! :B
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?